Thursday, June 12, 2008

Pink Shorts and Black Holes

I was walking out of our local grocery store the other day and
in front of me, leading the parade so to speak, was a woman
wearing a baggy, bright pink pair of shorts and matching shirt,
walking all hunched over her shopping cart.

But what really got my attention was the fact that
there must have been three yards of pink fabric
stuck up the crack of this woman's butt.

I mean, it was all just up there, stuck.
Her shorts looked normal in the front
(I looked as I passed her)
but the back, all of that pinkness,
was all sucked into her substantial crack.

It was disturbing to look at.

I started thinking about astronomy.
You know, black holes.
How, once inside, not even light can escape,
a bit of knowledge that has always bothered me.

So then I was consumed by the temptation to walk up behind her,
grab two handfulls of pink and yank!
I wanted to free that fabric from the black hole.

I didn't do it because at the last minute I noticed her husband,
walking next to her, but slightly behind,
which made me kinda mad because I thought,
"What kind of a man would let his wife go around with the
equivalent of a pink parachute stuck up her butt!"

So, I passed them by, looking at them as I went.
And, then suddenly I was gonked on the head
with the realization that this woman was a sister.
I'm talking about the "great" sisterhood,
the planetary sorority of women kind of sister.

This woman with the apparently numb butt
was my sister on the planet
and there I was looking at her
making this realization
and it all made my head spin.

Then I noticed the beautiful blue sky
the big, tumbly white clouds
and I could sense the spinning of the earth
which gave me the sensation that if I didn't
hold on tightly to my shopping cart
I would just float away.

So. How was YOUR day?!

2 comments:

TomC said...

Well... I didn't see any wedgies.

Where are my blogs? said...

Hi Meri,
This post made me laugh out loud several times. I know exactly what you mean - had those realisations myself, except in my case it wasn't yards of material up someone else's arse, it was discovering, after having stood in front of a class of 12 teenagers for over an hour, laughing and joking and setting up tasks, that I had a huge chunk of coriander from when I'd had that salad (hours before) stuck smack-bang between my front two teeth.