Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Food Fighter

Last night we went to see the Guru of Food, the
Grand Poobah of Poly Farming, the Oligarch of
Omnivores, the Champion of Chow, the Bruce
Springsteen of Sustainable Food Production.

I'm talking about Michael Pollen. Author of
The Botany of Desire, In Defense of Food:
An Eater’s Manifesto,
The Omnivore's Dilemma:
A Natural History of Four Meals, named one of
the ten best books of 2006 by the New York
Times and the Washington Post. Most recently
the New York Times Magazine
published his 8000
word letter to Mr. Next President entitled: Farmer
In Chief.
It's long, but well worth the read.

This guy is no slacker.

He didn't speak here in Lime Plant City. No way! Are you kidding?! If he ever
came to LPC he'd choke and gag and pass out from all the lime dust and mono-
farming around here. No, we had to drive to see him. We drove many miles and
4 light years
away to the town of Oberlin, home of Oberlin College; a bastion
of bicycle riding, progressively thinking, culturally diverse people coexisting
in a community of music, art, and funkally-dressed, dread-locked, really, really
smart kids who are our future and who, as you look at them, make you proud,
not because they like to eat locally grown food from sustainable farms and hang
out in coffee bars, but because they are so doggone earnest and energetic and,
well, smart.

So, off we went. Us! The Man and I! In the dark! At night! Wow!

I had been planning on this event since last June, so there was nothing that
was going to stop me...except for the probability of forgetting all about it,
which almost happened, but thanks to The Man didn't. We drove in the dark
through sleet and hail. I asked the blizzard expert riding next to me if we should
turn back, but he said no it wasn't snow it was only albino rain.

We got there and were immediately amazed by and then excited by all the people
on the streets, the people streaming into Finney Chapel, the evening's venue. It
was really crowded. We quickly parked and made our way inside. It was packed
and getting packedier every minute. People, young and old, were happily talking to
each other, everyone seemed excited to be there, the room buzzed with anticipation.

Promptly at 8:00 Mr. Pollen walked onto the stage and the auditorium erupted
in loud applause and cheers. The people were actually woohooing him. He was
treated to a rockstar's welcome by this room full of informed, excited, and alert
groupies. They listened. They reacted. They were with him every minute for the
next hour or so - and still with him for the question and answer period afterward.

Michael Pollen, aside from being a dynamic writer, is a very good lecturer. First
of all, he's extremely brilliant. Secondly, he has a commanding stage presence,
relaxed and confident and, thirdly, his material was well prepared and delivered
with a passion.

Dear Mr. Pollen:

I don't want to marry you. I just want to be your neighbor. I want to stand
and look over the fence and stare at you. I want to follow you around your
garden. I'd even carry your stuff. I'd be your minion.

You could come over and yell at me because I'm mowing my lawn when I
should be planting broccoli there instead.

And, you could come inside my house and be horrified by the bag of corn
chips on the counter and you could yell things at me like "do you know
how much petroleum is used to produce just one chip?!" And, I could say,
"Oh sure, lots. Want one?"

Nah, just kidding about that. Actually, I'd do everything you said. I'd be
a good and faithful follower...just like Lassie.

So, please forward your address and I'll see you soon. Oh, and can I bring
The Man, too? He doesn't know diddly about gardening or farming, but he
can act like he does. I think he even played a "farmer" once on t.v. But,
what he doesn't know he makes up for by just standing there looking good
and he is sort of an expert on frogs.

I look forward to hearing from you and, until then,
I remain

Your faithful servant,
Meridith Sender

P.S. Is bacon a bad thing?

2 comments:

TomC said...

hmmmmm - a very interesting account, especially the reference to "bacon" which made my morning cereal seem pitiful in comparison.

Since I am "Joe, the Meat Eater and Harley Rider" I had not heard of Pollen. You got my attention so I headed for the article... Hello Michael? Helloooo? The President-elect is definitely going to need an executive summary of your tome.

Well, I made it through and it made absolute sense. I also liked the reference to Tommy Thompson as he is a fellow Harley rider who therefore has my complete trust.

So here is my summary... for you to "chew" on:
- Less oil
- Less bio-fuel
- Rotate crops and animals
- More farmers
- Use the federal subsidy system to force the restructuring of agriculture
- A meatless day (How about Friday, Sister Arcadia would like that?)
- Spend more on school lunches and redefine the "food" that is served
- Shorten the food chain
- Make my backyard garden bigger
- Shorten my comments - Sorry!

Thank you Madam, for bringing this matter to my attention. Very well done.

Sincerely,

Not The President-Elect

Waiting for the Big Giant said...

you don't have to be a vegetarian, but you CAN'T send your cow, sheep, pig, chicken, salmon, ostrich, etc. to a filthy, disgusting, scary feedlot to be filled with antibiotics before butchering. said cow must be kept in your backyard with molly and at night sheltered in the garage next to the harley. you could stock fish in your swimming pool.

you're absolutely right about the need for an executive summary, and you did an excellent job.

thanks for your comments. they're very funny.