Monday, October 27, 2008

Joe The Voter

This morning we voted.

I have a theory as to why people are voting early in record numbers.
They all have a sense that after they cast their ballot IT WILL ALL
BE OVER! It will FINALLY BE OVER!!! They won't have to endure
any more television advertisements and dinner-time tape-recorded
phone calls and they won't have to pull glossy candidate mailers out
of their mailboxes every single day.

Of course it's just a theory, but it illustrates how I felt this morning
after we went to the Bureau of Elections and did our civic duty.

When we arrived there was a good sized crowd of "early" voters
and it was a little scary and definitely depressing because, honestly,
a good percentage of them looked unqualified for the task. Twenty-five
per cent were, clinically, the walking dead. The majority of the rest
looked dazed and/or totally confused...which is pretty normal looking
for around here, actually.

We had to wait a little while before receiving our ballots and I ended
up next to a very elderly man who kept asking "How'd I get this pen
in my hand?" about fifty times and his adult grandson kept telling him,
"You filled out that form, remember?" I just sat there, but I wanted
to shout "Are you kidding? This guy doesn't even know what century
we're in! He's living on the planet LaLa! Hello!"

Seriously, he didn't even know where he was so how on earth was he
going to figure out what the heck the ballot was all about, let alone color
in the correct circles. Potentially, it was a case of voter fraud, if you
ask me, because someone was obviously going to have to fill in the
little circles for him.

They have a litmus test for political candidates. I think it's only fair
that the voters should be required to pass one as well.

2 comments:

TomC said...

Ohhhhh... don't get me going! Too late. For further details see today's entry in "This is the Life". Thank you for the motivation. thankyouverymuch

TomC said...

Okay!!! We are on a roll here. That plug for your blog... I pasted it directly off your blog header thinking it would set up as an electronic link. Just checked it and it didn't so I dropped the size of the font to something a little more respectable.

So, you had that photo in mind too?! Yup, this has gotta' be a case of great minds in sync... I found it by just popping up Google and keyed in "dumb voter". That was the first photo in the line up and it seemed best.

Thanks to you and Jack for reading this stuff. Sure makes it fun.

P.S. (I have a buddy who calls us citizen journalists.. sounds very formal doesn't it?!) I also see this stuff referred to as "social media". hmmmmmm.

See you later. I'm heading for JC Penny's!