Thursday, December 4, 2008

Sizing Things Up

Our apartment appears to have shrunk. I can't believe it was always this small.
This morning in the bathroom, while drying off after a shower, I made the mistake
of bending over and got wedged between the sink and two walls.

While there, I started thinking about that LeBron James guy who's so famous.
Well, he might be something but if they had a shower-taking contest in our bathroom,
I'd whup him so bad!

So our apartment is small. Stefano the builder showed up today and he's going to
build us some shelves. Then we'll have more room to store our stuff. The shelves
will enable us to eliminate a cabinet and a small bookcase; hence, more floor space.

Our apartment was built in the 1500's for little Italian people. Nobody figured that
someday big giant white people from the extremely-new world were going to invade
the joint. This should be a lesson to us all. When you build, always figure guys bigger
than you are eventually going to show up!

This sheds a whole new light on the philosophy of "waiting for the big giant," I think.

Other than that, Rome still stands. Everything appears to be moving along in its
normal chaotic way. I am readjusting to the hazardous lifestyle of the big city
pedestrian, striving to avoid altercations with motorinos, cars, buses, trams, potholes,
other pedestrians - particularly those with open umbrellas.

My survival instincts are clicking back into gear...making that popping sound your knees
make when you stand up sometimes. I figure that by tomorrow morning I should be
back in the game. I'll put on my shoulder pads and snap on my helmet and trot out onto
the "field of flowers" (Campo Dei Fiori) to start play in this year's Rome Bowl.

Unless, of course, it's raining...in which case I may wait another day. I'm not kidding about
those umbrella-wielding Romans.

No comments: