Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Scuola Giorni

This morning I reluctantly returned to school. I'm not sure why I was reluctant.
Maybe I'm just mad because I still can't speak this darn language. Well, I speak it,
but I don't speak well. Luckily, our friends are patient people and are always kind
to the verbally-challenged, bumbling sidekick The Man takes with him everywhere.
These people reacted enthusiastically when I said I was going to go to school.

It's for them that I go.

I had to take an entrance exam when I signed up to take classes. It was a one-page
test with some pronoun, singular to plural, and verb conjugation exercises. I flunked.
They assigned me to the "elementario" class.

I don't think there's any reason to translate.

I polished my shoes, I wore my best-pants-that-still-fit and a clean sweater. I put
pens and paper in my Hello Kitty backpack and off I trudged...in the rain...to school.

I guess I walked kind of fast because I got there about twenty minutes early and had
all this empty time to think about what I had gotten myself into.

Ugh. School. Two hours a day, twice a week, for two months.

At least it's not every day.

1 comment:

Kimi said...

Don't worry about school, you have Hello Kitty to help you!