Friday, October 16, 2009

The United Sachs of Goldman

I dragged The Man to the Regal Cinema for our 2009 film-viewing experience.
We went to see Michael Moore's latest documentary, "Capitalism: A Love Story,"
the inspiration for my title of this blog.

I don't do much political commentary here, but I would like to tell everyone
to see this film. Even if you're a RightWing/FundiChristian/HateRadiofreak,
go see this one. Oh, he does disparage George W. a few times, but...well...so.
Other than that, I think ALL OF THE PEOPLE should at least consider the
depressing realities that this documentary illustrates so well. I like Michael
Moore because the guy has cojones. I mean, who would stand in front of the
CitiBank building in New York City holding a large money sack demanding that
Citi give back the money it stole from the American tax payer. Or, who would
show up at A.I.G. to make a citizen's arrest on the C.E.O. Oh sure, he had a
camera crew with him and everyone knows who he is, but still. He's got guts.
He doesn't hide behind a microphone or in a sound studio. He puts himself out
there on the street, in people-who-matter's faces and I have respect for that
kind of bravery because I could NEVER do that. I much prefer weeny-bitching
in the safety and comfort of my own living room like, I suppose, most Americans
who are programmed to think things like, "Heaven forbid I should actually put
my self on the front line because, geewhiz, it might be dangerous and I might
get arrested and what would people think." Moore has none of these qualms.
I support him in his efforts and I admire his ability to put an interesting,
thought provoking, entertaining, emotional film together. He made me raise
my eyebrows with skepticism, struggle with understanding difficult concepts,
laugh out loud and seethe with rage. He made me proud of my country like I
haven't felt in a long time. And, he also made me cry for my country, which
is another thing I haven't done in a long time. As I left the theatre, I was
keenly aware of my fellow citizens. It was a strange sensation. I felt this
intense oneness with my fellow theatre-goers, like we were all comrades
fighting for the survival of our common ideals, like I wanted to shake their
hands and say hello to them, to connect somehow, to stand in the parking lot
singing "We Are The World" or something.

1 comment:

Cat said...

Yay for your review. Looking forward to seeing it.

And see! The United States isn't completely the devil! Just 49% of it.