Monday, February 8, 2010

Ants!

(WARNING: If you're a Myrmecophobiac, you don't want to
read this post or view the video link...especially the video link!)


Has everyone but me seen this film?

If so, WHY DIDN'T ANYONE TELL ME ABOUT IT!

The Man and I got rid of our television in 2001.
Ten years off the tube. We're like total mutants by now.

But, this Ants! movie makes me think that perhaps not all t.v.
is mindless, trance inducing, stupidhead-making horse manure.
I'm thinking maybe we should consider re-subscribing to the
national brain drain...or at least The Science Channel because
they did such a great job documenting the awesomeness of ants.

The music is creepy, the narration hypnotic, the cinematography
suspenseful, but in a nice way.

It makes both the scientists and the natural world seem bizarre
and scary and totally groovy...which, they actually are, I guess.

I especially like the little typed notations letting you know that the
ants are really okay and the crazy scientists didn't massacre a gazillion
of them to complete their experiment. Boy, I was relieved by that...
'Course I generally trust film makers, which is probably stupid.

This is only a segment of a multi-part series entitled: "Ants! Nature's
Secret Power," which you can access on YouTube and elsewhere online.

I'll tell you one thing, though. I'm gonna think twice the next time
I flick some pesky ant off my peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

1 comment:

Annie said...

Thanks for posting the link. I learned things I didn't know, and didn't know I wanted to know. I hope the disclaimers are accurate! Probably the only way to know for sure the scientists didn't destroy an active colony is to see the full documentary. It's amazing how wide the maze of tunnels spreads, compared to what you see on the surface.