Friday, April 2, 2010

Travel Log Blog

We have made our way south to the Bay of Policastro, to the town of Sapri for an
Easter Getaway.

It's not our first time here. We always come here when we want some seashore
action. I think this is our fourth or fifth time. Our hotel is right on the beach, the
staff has changed, but they're always welcoming and very kind. They used to be
open before Easter and that's when we'd show up. But, now they don't open until
the Easter weekend. That means there are other guests here, but we don't mind.
We still got the best room in the house with a terrazza that overlooks the sea.

Google maps says it takes about 4 hours and 55 minutes to get here from Roma.
We took 8 hours. Well, we had to stop several times for a caffe and also to eat lunch
and also to stretch...hey, we're old people!

Anyway, I want to show you how wonderful this part of Italy is. I love it here.
This area south of Naples. Campania. Basilicata. The National Park of Cilento.

This VIDEO shows where we stopped for lunch, just off the main highway, at
what seemed to be a truck stop. Well, these truckers know how to eat, let me
tell you. As you will see from the photos, it's a far cry from the normal fare for
truckers in the U.S.

This little ristorante appeared and we both thought, hmmmm....there's cars
and trucks there...must be good...let's go there...

Well, first we ordered the vegetariano antipasto. I've never tasted such a
delectable selection of vegetables and cheeses...the mozzerella di buffala was
fabulous and the goat cheese!!! The sundried tomatoes in oil, the bit of omelette
and polenta, the peppers, the eggplant...Oh!

Then, I ordered the pappardelle with ceci (garbanzo beans). Heaven! Just look
at those little ceci beans sitting there all happy and everything!

The Man ordered a mixture of orrechiette (little ears) pasta and ravioli in an amazing
meat sauce of some kind.

We washed it down with a quarto (fourth) of vino della casa (wine of the house).

Mamma mia!

Then I walked outside and around the back and saw the source of some of our
meal. The pen of goats and chickens and ducks and turkeys and I don't know
what all. This place also had orchards for nuts and apples. Olive trees for the
best olive oil.

Then we got in the car and wound our way down into Sapri and the Med and
our hotel and our room and ... well, watch the video.

I'm going to post again tomorrow. We're going to explore the Cilento!

It's springtime and we're out of Roma!

5 comments:

TomC said...

A fine commentary and video... keep them coming! I like the itinerant stand-in you occasionally include as well.

Annie said...

Enjoy your weekend! My husband, son, and I are just heading back tomorrow from a one week vacation in the Smoky Mountains.

Waiting for the Big Giant said...

Annie,

I just typed the words "Smoky Mountains" yesterday...only I spelled it Smokey...

Anyway, a friend of mine is going there and I was saying how I've always wanted to go there, etc.

I hope you had a great time. It must be beautiful in the spring.

Waiting for the Big Giant said...

TomC,

oh...at first i thought you wrote "ignorant" stand-in...

whatever...yes, he works well and is relatively cheap...i just have to keep feeding him.

Annie said...

Hi, It is beautiful. I hate to leave this morning. We've had weather from snowfall up at Newfound Gap on Monday, to 84 degrees at the Nantahala River yesterday- a wonderful hike on Thursday- I could go on and on! Thanks for posting about your trip!