Thursday, March 27, 2008

Dentally Deranged

This morning I discovered I couldn’t chew on the right side of my mouth without excruciating pain. Plus, I had a big scab on my chin which didn't help.

With The Man accompanying me for moral support (and to remind me not to elaborate too much, to keep-it-simple-stupid), I went back to see my dentist.

We had to wait about an hour for him to finish with scheduled patients.

The receptionist and the hygienist both figured I was there to cause a raucous. The hygienist came out at one point to get another victim...I mean, patient... and she didn’t even say hello to me or ask how my scab was doing.

At last, the dentist came out and sat down and listened to my “simple” story of woe and vexation. He took me into his examination room and checked me out.

He told me that the pain is caused by some exposed “dentin.” Google that.

When the hygienist cleaned the tartar and crud away from my teeth, the dentin was left uncovered. That’s why I hurt. He explained everything very clearly for me (very “simple” for the “stupid”).

Now I am feeling much better. My tooth still hurts and I can’t chew on that side, but at least I know I don’t need a root canal.

Essentially, the pain is NOT because I had my teeth cleaned, but because I haven’t had my teeth cleaned ENOUGH.

That’s Dental-Speak. I respect that.

I deserved that scab.

No comments: