Friday, November 7, 2008

My GOBAMA is Gone

I'm really miffed this morning because some loser (and I mean loser!) stole the
Obama sign that I had in the front yard. I'm not sure when it was stolen, sometime
within the last two days because it was definitely there on election day. I can't
remember seeing it yesterday, but I remember thinking about how I'd better
take the sign down now that everything is over, etc. except now IT'S TOO LATE
BECAUSE SOME STINKING THIEF STOLE IT AND I'M REALLY MAD!"

It was an original sign, too, in that I'd taken some white paint and added a "G"
before the "OBAMA," underlined the "GO" and put an explanation point at the
end so that it read "GOBAMA!" I had done such a nice job on the lettering. It
looked professional, I mean it.

I was proud of that sign. Proud to have the opportunity FOR THE FIRST TIME
IN MY LIFE to put up a sign in support of hopes and dreams and intelligence and
fortitude and calm assurance and love and family and dignity and pride and promise
for the future and all that other things that the man Obama exemplifies for me.

What's weird is that the stinking thief also stole the other sign I'd placed out there
for a local politician named Murray. I'd seen him speak at a "candidates night" at
the library and in spite of the fact that he's an attorney (aren't they all?), a profession
for which I don't have much liking, he was so amazingly brilliant, articulate and
focused I wanted to show my support for him as well; hence, the sign.

So, that was it: two signs. Two signs that represented my enthusiasm and desire
for smart people to be elected, which they were, thank goodness.

But, now I want my signs. I want to stick them in the closet and find them in about
twenty years and look at them and think, "Well, lookie here. I remember putting
these up in the yard back there in ol' Lime Plant City. Those were some bad times
we went through. But, thanks to these here smart guys and many others like 'em,
we were all saved and now the world is a better place for everyone. We're all safe
and live in peace. We all have food to eat and clean water to drink. We're tolerant
instead of extremist. We're compassionate instead of hate filled. We're calm instead
of anxiety ridden. We are proud of our largesse rather than the size of our military.
We are ever growing, ever changing, adaptable to changes that create greater
sustainability for all people, and petty isolationist views have been replaced with a
sense of the wholeness of the earth and its inhabitants.

That's what I want to think when I see those signs in my closet in twenty years...but,
of course, I won't see those signs because some stinking thief stole them.

1 comment:

TomC said...

You have planted another zinger here Meridith! I can't speak for Murray but I know who stole the other sign. It was Yo Mama who stole Obama. I would have pointed the finger at... me... because I lived on your very same street as a delinquent teenager (theres nothing worse than a altar boy gone bad) hell bent on stealing anything that wasn't under direct observation. But then, your story would have to be taking place in the very early 60's.

I also have an idea for you. Instead of your departed signs why don't you print up the blog entry you have just written. Fold it, place it in an envelope, grab a big felt tip and mark it "GOBAMA" and put that in your closet. Your final, priceless paragraph of hopes for the world will be of much greater value than the signs could ever be.

Thank you for making another of my days.