Monday, March 16, 2009

Heavy Thoughts


I was sitting around
thinking the other day

that my "Lentil"
is a grand failure

and that if The Man
weren't such a quick eater
he'd be much thinner
by now

because when I finish
eating what's on my
plate
i start coveting
what's on his.

He took me to a place in Tuscany called Bagni Di Lucca in the Alpuan Alps. It's a quaint,
old village built on a roaring river. The weather was warm, the mountains were flowing
with spring run-off, birds sang and woodland wildflowers bloomed purple and yellow.
Byron, Shelley, the Brownings, Puccini, Liszt, Strauss and Paganini spent summer
months in Bagni Di Lucca at various times. One reason for its popularity were the thermal
baths, still in use today. I think we'll go back there again and test the healing properties
of the baths ourselves.

Back here in chaotic Rome, we ran into our friend Bill, the chef. Several days ago we joined
him at an evening lecture at the prestigious American Academy in Rome. I'd never been
there before, in the beautiful Villa Aurelia up on the Gianicolo Hill overlooking the city. Bill
used to be the chef for the Academy, a position now held by his friend, Mona, who, in turn,
used to work for Alice Waters. I know, I am totally name dropping here. But, Bill is an
independent chef and very well connected with the filthy rich of Rome. He cooks frequently
for various embassies as well as private parties for diplomats and celebrities. And, AND the
big news is that tomorrow Bill is taking the founder of Cook's Illustrated magazine, his wife
and children on a tour of the Esquilino market here in Rome and then to lunch. I thought
this was very exciting because I love Cook's Illustrated! And, now my friend Bill is taking
the Kimball family on a tour! Wow!

I will never get to see the insides of the beautiful apartments where Bill works, but I love
to hear about them. You know what I mean?

2 comments:

Cat said...

There is a very good documentary produced by the "Sundance" group called "Iconoclasts" - - there are several different versions with different people ... but one of them is with Alice Waters & Mikhail Barisnykov - wow, I'm sure I spelled that wrong! I don't know if you could find it on Youtube or not - but I saw it by downloading it through itunes. Very good & I just thought I'd mention it, since you mentioned Alice Waters.

Waiting for the Big Giant said...

i will check it out. thx.