Monday, March 30, 2009

How Much Is A Billion


I read something really good today.

It was an article about the government
bailouts of companies like AIG, GM,
CitiGroup, etc. etc. ad naseum.

Over 100 billion dollars to AIG alone.

100 billion.


I mean, if I have a hundred dollars in my pocket I'm a nervous wreck because I'm worrying
constantly that somebody might steal it, or it might fall out of my pocket, or I might forget
it's there and throw it in the wash and never be able to prove that it was once U.S. currency,
or that the guy at the register won't be able to make change for it? Ahhhhhh!

But, a billion?! The thought gives me the vapors.

I can't wrap my brain around "billion."

What does a billion look like? Is there a One Billion Dollar bill? Has anyone out there
ever seen one? Better yet, has anyone ever USED one? I mean was it all wrinkled and
dirty when it got handed over? And what was it used to buy? A thousand pairs of one
million dollar shoes?

Okay, wait a minute. Let's start with something simple, like a measly Million dollars.

If somebody gave you a ONE DOLLAR bill every second how long would it take before
you had One Million Dollars?
12 days.

How long would it take before you had One BILLION Dollars?
32 years!

That's one dollar every second...for the next 32 years!!!

That's how incredibly much a billion is.

I'm so humbled.

Somehow, I feel so insignificant and tiny and small and little and wee-wee.

I hate those guys at AIG for bringing the fact that I'm a wee-wee to my attention.

No comments: